The 2021 Lhulh’uts’ut’en Indigenous Day of Learning was inspirational. The addresses of the opening keynote speakers were thought provoking. Clayton Gauthier welcomed us by sharing a Women’s Creation Story and the importance of women in First Peoples culture, reminding all listeners to value the women in their lives. Next, Ashley Callingbull spoke about her personal journey from an abused child to a successful celebrity and First Peoples’ activist. It was an enlightening experience to listen to these two incredible speakers.

I chose Annita McPhee’s presentation on Lateral Violence for the next session. She explained that “We can not make ourselves any better than anyone from judging behaviors of others. This is Lateral Violence. The only thing we can do is improve our own behavior, Healing is a choice” (McPhee 2021), and we all need to make it. It was surprising to me how pervasive this form of almost-under-the-radar bulling seems to be. I was upset to admit that I had both experienced and perpetrated lateral violence in the past. Thankfully, the speaker also gave us ways to respond to and reduce lateral violence. Basically, being straightforward in one’s communication is the best way to avoid being laterally violent, yourself. Avoid sarcasm, and “jokes” that may hurt someone. Seems easy enough. Harder though, is figuring out what to do if you are experiencing lateral violence. Like most  workplaces, the education field provides us with protocols for if a person is having difficulty with a co-worker. Following these protocols means that we are not alone in dealing with the situation.

Similarly, learning opportunities like the Lhulh’uts’ut’en Indigenous Day of Learning are important because they help us all, First Peoples and others, to know that we are not alone and have support on our learning journey toward Truth and Reconciliation. To personally work toward Truth and Reconciliation, I’ve re-established my commitment to educate myself and others about First Peoples history, culture, and present day issues. I feel that there is no better place to do this than the teaching profession.

Callingbull, Ashley. (Sept. 24, 2021) Opening Keynote [Conference Session]. Lhulh’uts’ut’en Working Together Indigenous Day of Learning Professional Development Day. SD57 Online Pro-D Conference.

Gauthier, Clayton. (Sept. 24, 2021) Welcoming Remarks [Conference Session]. Lhulh’uts’ut’en Working Together Indigenous Day of Learning Professional Development Day. SD57 Online Pro-D Conference.

McPhee, Anita. (Sept. 24, 2021) Lateral Violence [Conference Session]. Lhulh’uts’ut’en Working Together Indigenous Day of Learning Professional Development Day. SD57 Online Pro-D Conference.